Saturday, January 14, 2012

Do I have this right?

Is the whole "mid-life crisis" thing that point in your life where you try to reconcile the difference between what you wanted, what you have, what you thought you wanted, and what you really want now that you have what you have?

I recently saw a job listing that sent a small chill through me.  It was the type of job that the fresh, hungry, idealistic, and naive version of myself would have wanted for older me.  But, now that I actually am older me, and could qualify for that job, I look at it and think- Jesus, I do not want THAT level of stress in my life.  I am older, more self aware, and I have been trying to come to terms with my limitations throughout my entire life.  It is just now starting to sink in that I might not actually be super human.  Shock horror! 

An old friend of mine used to drive me crazy.  He was incredibly brilliant, and incredibly talented, but had no motivation to use, improve, or hone those skills towards some sort of creative career.  I used to try to push him to do something more with his talents, and he resisted at every poke and prod.  It seemed like an absolute waste to me.  His stance was, in effect, "someone has to do the non-glamorous jobs."

Now I look back on that struggle I had internally with him, and I think I get it.  Not only do I think I get it, I think I am very much in favor of that point of view being applied to my own life.

What good is reaching for that glamorous brass ring when right underneath you is this super happy, super cute and super fun carousel pony?

Settling?  I think not!
I think sometimes, you just gotta stop, look around yourself, and realize all the good stuff you've got going on.  Then, make a conscious decision to be happy... because really, life is kinda awesome.

/mid-life crisis
(oh look, code humor)
 

1 comment:

  1. Omigod-could write an entire blog post right here, right now about this! You are so on target, as I struggled internally over just this issue a day and a half ago. I'll tell you about it over the phone the next time we talk...but it was awful! Thanks for the reminder that happiness is a choice! Love you!

    ReplyDelete