Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Pizza Experiementation Continued

Making another pizza from scratch again, and writing the post as I go.

Here is the recipe I am going to try tonight.  It is a blending of a couple of recipes... one that I have already tried, and another one that I have just come across on ze internets.
Recipe A + Recipe B =

RECIPE C

1/2 – 3/4 c. warm water
1 T. dry active yeast
1 t. brown sugar (for the yeast)
2 c. flour
1 T. Olive Oil
1/2 t. salt
1 T. Corn Meal
  1. Combine 1/4 c. water with yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve the yeast, set aside until bubbly about 5 minutes.
  2. Mix flour and salt, then add the oil.
  3. Preheat the oven at 425˚ -
  4. Stir the yeast mixture into the flour mixture, adding water until it forms a ball you can work with. Knead for a few minutes until doughy.  Cover with plastic wrap or another bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
  5. Dust a pizza stone with corn meal, and spread the dough out on the pizza stone.  
  6. Add desired toppings.
  7. Bake at 425˚ for 10 or 15 minutes- until cheese is just turning golden. 
Now that I have nailed down my recipe, here are the "secret" variation I have up my sleeve- fancy yuppie flavored salts.  Tonight I am going to use the Spanish Rosemary infused salt.  

Off to the kitchen I go....

26 minutes later, I am between step 4 and 5.

I have this tendency to up the salt measurements when making food, because my husband likes his food to have a lot of flavor.  I put in the .. oh.  OH CRAP NOT AGAIN!  I mistakenly thought it was a teaspoon of salt, not a half teaspoon- which I realized just now as I came to update the post.  Crap.  Oh well.  The Spanish rosemary salt is very mild... so it would probably would have been fine.  If only I hadn't added a heavy sprinkling of the Hawaiian sea salt to amp it up a bit.  SALT-AY!  We'll see how it goes, but I am prepared for another (all too common) over salt mistake.

9:09 pm, and I took it out of the oven about 5 minutes ago.  As per our usual, half Goat Cheese Mozzarella that lactose intolerant me can eat,  half regular cos cheese for Kris.  I convinced Kris to give fresh mozzarella a try, and he opted for the italian seasoned marinated stuff.  Pretty sure he is never going back now.

If nothing else, it appears that I have finally figured out how to spread the dough out all nice like on the stone.

Just gotta wait for it to cool a bit so I can cut it up and see how bad the salt level is.


Post eating... it was pretty damn good!  The doubling of salt was not at all perceptible, in fact... even I want a little more flavor out of my crust.  Perhaps I shall add a garlic'd butter brush on the crusts next time.  But the crusts were super fluffy, and a nice texture- if maybe a little dry.  Maybe more olive oil?

In the end, I baked it for about 12 minutes, and while it was fully cooked, Kris and I both agreed that it would have been even better.

Hey Mom!  I'm getting better at cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment